Re: sid or sarge where I am

On (06/05/04 16:36), Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Hello
>
> This is an elementary question and I am sorry I did not find it in the
> documentation:
>
> I started with Knoppix 3.3 (woody) and made various time
> apt-get upgrade
> (including once apt-get -t unstable install xemacs)
>
> But right now, I am not sure whether I am on unstable or testing.
Check your sources list: /etc/apt/sources.list

If you have both testing and unstable sources in there then you aren't
actually running either but the Knoppix distro which includes both.  If
you want to revert to one distro, it is probably safer to only have
unstable in your sources.list.  and do apt-get update followed by
apt-get dist-upgrade.

There was a long thread on the pros and cons of testing v unstable which
you ought to read before deciding - search the archives at:

http://lists.debian.org/search.html

The problem with "downgrading" to testing is that there may be conflicts
arising from differing dependancies for sid/sarge.  If you do go
unstable (sid) I would suggest you maintain your system using aptitude -
it can be set up to report serious bugs which your can then check before
upgrading packages - you need to read the bug reports:

http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

You may feel more inclined to stick the the status quo

> BTW could I go back to woody
> like
> apt-get -t woody or the like?

Not recommended particularly if you don't know what you are doing - it
would be much easier to do a fresh install.  If you did want to
reinstall there is a new beta installer for sarge which you could try
which, I understand, detects hardware and is easier and quicker than the
woody installer - YMMV

> Is there any specific documentation about changing between distributions.
Check the archives

Regards

Clive

--