Re: [OT Why GB English is different] Re: Mozilla firefox en-gb

At 12:43 PM 5/6/2004, Pigeon wrote:

> (Coincidentally, what's
> the accepted way to say 'pecan' in GB English? According to my US
> dictionary, there are no fewer that FOUR proper pronunciations.)

I pronounce it like a small metal container for urine, but I don't
know if that's "correct" or not.

Personally I think however it may be understood is all the "correctness" needed.

I noticed a afaik unique pronunciation of 'almond' when my wife and I lived in California. Many there pronounce the 'l'... where everyplace else I've been the 'l' is silent. One might argue that since California grows almonds they should know the correct pronunciation. BTW, I love pecans regardless of how you say it.

Marty

Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml