Re: udev and my CD

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:24:44PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
| On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:10:47PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:58:55PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:

| >| The only problem is that my CDROM disappeared (actually both of them
| >| disappeared). It seems that both hdb and hdc turn up in /etc/udev/.dev,
| >| but neither can be found in /dev :-( Any pointers?

| >The question, then, is twofold :
| >    1)  does your CD drive present itself via /sys?
| >        (if you use the 'ide-cd' driver then it does)
|
| Hmm. Another missing module? It is amazing. I am still running into some
| silly things like this from my 2.4->2.6 transition. Has someone written
| some guide on how to upgrade a Debian system from 2.4->2.6?

I don't know.  Perhaps a summary of module/driver changes and
reorganization would be good to have.  The information is already out
there, you just have to find it.  (I speak from having searched for it
when I made the transition)

| If so he
| should advertise it! I started out with a working 2.4 system, upgraded
| to 2.6 and found (roughly in order):
|
|  - psmouse and mousedev are needed to get a mouse in X
|  - capability is needed to get some of my nfs mounts to survive longer
|    than 15 minutes

I learned about this module when bind9 wouldn't start after a recent
bind upgrade.

|  - and now ide-cd is needed to get udev to find my cdrom drives

Indeed.  IIRC moving the IDE CD driver to the ide-cd module occurred
at the 2.2->2.4 transition.

|  What am I missing?

| Upgrading is an incremental process to say the least :-)

Incremental in the learning :-).

| The need for ide-cd wasn't mentioned on the udev page[1] I found either.

ide-cd isn't specific to udev.  It's specific to your cd drive :-).

| Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

You're welcome.

-D

--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world