Re: udev and my CD

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:10:47PM -0400, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
>On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:58:55PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
>| I just installed udev since I wanted to do some cool things with my
>| memstick :-)
>|
>| The only problem is that my CDROM disappeared (actually both of them
>| disappeared). It seems that both hdb and hdc turn up in /etc/udev/.dev,
>| but neither can be found in /dev :-( Any pointers?
>
>udev mounts the old /dev on /etc/udev/.dev before it mounts its own
>temporary filesystem over /dev.  If /dev/Foo exists before udev starts,
>then it will continue to exist as /etc/udev/.dev/Foo.
>
>After udev starts, it controls what exists in /dev.  udev begins by
>copying all entries from the existing /dev.  Then it reads all the
>rules specified in /etc/udev/rules.d and creates the requested nodes
>for devices it finds in /sys.  (/sys is a on-the-fly view into the
>kernel, similar to /proc)
>
>The question, then, is twofold :
>    1)  does your CD drive present itself via /sys?
>        (if you use the 'ide-cd' driver then it does)

Hmm. Another missing module? It is amazing. I am still running into some
silly things like this from my 2.4->2.6 transition. Has someone written
some guide on how to upgrade a Debian system from 2.4->2.6? If so he
should advertise it! I started out with a working 2.4 system, upgraded
to 2.6 and found (roughly in order):

 - psmouse and mousedev are needed to get a mouse in X
 - capability is needed to get some of my nfs mounts to survive longer
   than 15 minutes
 - and now ide-cd is needed to get udev to find my cdrom drives

 What am I missing?

Upgrading is an incremental process to say the least :-)

The need for ide-cd wasn't mentioned on the udev page[1] I found either.

/M

1. http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php#example-printer

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

Genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains.
     -- Jane Hopkins