Re: Starting x-apps from bash (or ssh)

Debian disables X over ssh by default.  You should have no problems
starting things in an xterm.  To get Xapps to work over ssh you need to do
the following:

--to accept exteral X, need to edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and factory-gdm.conf
to remove "-nolisten tcp" (assuming you use gdm -- otherwise find how its
starting and comment out that part), and then restart X on your host.
--sshd on server needs to be reconfigured to accept "X11Forwarding yes" in
/etc/ssh/sshd_conf and also comment out "X11DisplayOffset 10"
--ssh on host now requires -X to get X (unless /etc/ssh/ssh_config on host
is also changed as above).

David