authenticate via NTLM & AD

Hi,

i recently started a new job as system administrator.
Then current IT infrastructure consists of all windows servers
and 1 sun that is slowly dying. I'm also going to be
responsible for setting up a decent intranet site and webbased
tools. So, i saw my chance here for introducing a Linux based
server into the mix.
To start testing i grabbed an old pc that was available and
started installing woody. The only problem i encounter at the
moment is that every user on the network has to login with
a domain password that is checked against an Active Directory.
Also when surfing, you need to use a proxy server which in turn
requires NTLM authentication but it's the same user/password
combo from the AD ( it gets the info there).

So, right now i can't use apt-get. It time's out.
I found a small proxy tool, APS, but that doesn't seem to help.
http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/index.html
It seemed like a tool that would at least make sure that i
could get apt-get going.

If surfing and thus using apt-get works, i would also want to
use this computer as local package archive (apt-proxy or
apt-cacher).
This is what i'm trying to establish:

1) Let the pc authenticate against the AD or at least enable
apt-get to access the net by authenticating on the proxy
server (ISA)

2) If i would set up other Linux servers, it might be handy
to have them access the web via this server so they do not need
to go through the trouble of authenticating. Not sure if this is
the best way.

I have no idea what programs i will need to install to achieve
the above. Is samba able to authenticate with ntlm or will i have
to throw in LDAP into the mix too?
Any advice, tips, howto's or links are appreciated.

Thanks,
Benedict