Re: Network Adapter Problem!

On Monday 03 May 2004 13:44, Kaveh Gh wrote:
[...]
>  I have a D-link DFE-530TX+ Fast 10/100 Mbps PCI LAN
> Adapter. The manufacture sells the adapter with a CD
> holds corresponding drivers. The driver used for Linux
> is: ¡§RTL8139¡¨ this file is a C++ code.
>
> Bob had told me to try 8139too.o but according to my
[...]
> Last night, I had fired up the setup again with bf24
> kernel and wanted to follow the instructions
> recommended by Dear Bob. There was no 8139too module
> for inclusion! Then I¡¦ve tried Linux (default),
> Vanilla, and compact ones; All of them had the 8139too
> module (Good 4 me) but unable to link it to the
> kernel!! When I had selected the module for inclusion,
> the setup issued this message:
[...]

I am guessing from the options you quote that you are using a woody install
disk set.  I had the exact same problem 10 months or so back - you will find
a lengthy thread in the archive.  I cannot remember the details, but
recollect there is a problem with the 2.2.x kernels that the 2.4.x does not
suffer - but the images on the woody distribution were so arranged that you
could not solve it straight from the CD.  I forget now whether the modules
were compiled in to one kernel or merely incompatible - I just remember that
the advice was to compile a new kernel in order to solve the problem.

My solution was to install Knoppix (it was 3.3 then) using a little script for
transferring it to the hard drive.  Knoppix installed the card without
problem.  I have since discovered Mepis which might do an even better job.
It is also a run-from-CD distro, but it is set up to install to HD much more
easily than Knoppix was when I last looked.

HTH

--
richard