Re: What do I need in Kernel for DSL

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:24:56AM +0200, Werner Mahr wrote:

> > > D-Link 360i on Ethernet, with german T-Online. Don't know what that is.
> >
> > Do you have adsl connection from you current kernel? if so please post
>
> Seems so, on the Modem is printed ADSL Modem.
>
> > the output of ifconfig when connected, finding the interface as a start
> > could help.
> eth0      Protokoll:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:E0:7D:EF:F3:A0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:439931 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:362184 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenl?nge:100
>           RX bytes:441579042 (421.1 MiB)  TX bytes:42493819 (40.5 MiB)
>           Interrupt:9 Basisadresse:0xc000
>
> [snip]
> ppp0      Protokoll:Punkt-zu-Punkt Verbindung
>           inet Adresse:217.238.89.48  P-z-P:217.5.98.54  Maske:255.255.255.255
>           UP PUNKTZUPUNKT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492  Metric:1
>           RX packets:127723 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:96846 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           Kollisionen:0 Sendewarteschlangenl?nge:3
>           RX bytes:155674673 (148.4 MiB)  TX bytes:8896002 (8.4 MiB)

Ok, from this it shows that you are using ppp to connect to the
ISP. This would mean wither PPPoE or PPTP as far as I know.

I don't know much about PPTP but if you use chap I think its pppoe since
PPTP uses a VPN. start by doing "ps ax | grep ppp" when connected, the
server used should probably show up there (at least for pppoe it should
show a line in the sorts of: /usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452)

If it shows up pppoe you will need the following support in you kernel:
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
CONFIG_PPPOE=y

and probably optionally (I never checked what happens without them):

CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y

That is under network device support->PPP...

ADSL should just continue to work after that with the new kernel. If its
PPTP, have a look at http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/, I am not sure
if you will have to patch you kernel for that.

> SE-Home:/home/werner#
>
> I'm sorry, but it is with german locales.
>
> > Its hard finding information on this modem. I searched in google and as
> > far as I can tell most of it is in German and I understand none of
> > it. Assuming from the German provider you can read German try a search
> > on google for D-Link 360i and see if you find directions or more
> > information on the connection.
>
> I didn't find anything.
>
> > It also supports PPPoE and Bridged Ethernet, could be that using PPPoE
> > will work, there is a package that helps set it up, you will need
> > pppoeconf and pppoe and then run pppoeconf and see if it finds the
> > pppoe interface.
>
> With this Packages I configured it the first time.

In that case just ignore most of my previous discussion and go with the
pppoe option (I should read emails all the way through properly before
answering ;-)

> > Try browsing to 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1, 10.0.0.1 (my best bet for the
>                   my own       not found    not found

This can take the load of running pppoe from you linux box and probably
the firewall if you don't have any special firewall demands, if you can
find the right interface to connect to and set it up.

You will have to change your local ip then to test this, and from my
experience with my modem (eci one) disconnect it from the internet and
disable PPPoE (/etc/init.d/ppp stop) it may make it change to a
different mode.

Then point you browser to that address: http://192.168.1.1, and you
should get a setup page.