MTA dependencies ???

Yes, I have seen this discussed before; but, I cannot find the Debian
consensus solution.  Which search criteria ought I to use in the

I have a box on which I want to install qmail from source.  In order to
get it to run, I need to remove/purge *all* other MTA's (e.g., exim,
nullmailer, &c.)

In doing so, there are DEB's with MTA dependencies, and removing/purging
DEB MTA's _also_ removes these dependent packages.

I do not want to remove these other packages.  In fact, there will be an
MTA on the box; but, aptitude does not know about it.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

What do you think?

Best Regards,

mds resource