Re: MTA dependencies ???

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:30:08AM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> I have a box on which I want to install qmail from source.  In order to
> get it to run, I need to remove/purge *all* other MTA's (e.g., exim,
> nullmailer, &c.)

Gods only know why, qmail sucks and the license is ridiculous.

> In doing so, there are DEB's with MTA dependencies, and removing/purging
> DEB MTA's _also_ removes these dependent packages.

As they should be.

> I do not want to remove these other packages.  In fact, there will be an
> MTA on the box; but, aptitude does not know about it.

Wrong answer.  The packaging system needs to know about it.

> What is the best way to accomplish this?

Use the qmail-src package to build a deb that provides mail-transfer-agent.
This is, after all, why it exists.  It's in non-free, but you've apparently
already made *that* decision.

--
 Marc Wilson |     No one can guarantee the actions of another.  --
 msw@cox.net |     Spock, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown