Re: setting up swap?

Silvan wrote:
I just did a net install of Sid using the latest available Sarge installer ISO.

I was working with a new HD, doing a partition table from scratch. The new partitioning tool worked, but I found it rather tedious to use. I got impatient, switched to tty2 and just cfdisked the thing. Then I tried to tell the installer about the partitions I had just formatted.

I got everything up and working after that. Used the installer to format them, installed the base system, and away I went. But I wound up with no swap, and I can't remember the Debian way to set it up.

It's a low mem box with only 128 MB, so it realllly needs swap. I ran mkswap on the designated partition, and then rebooted at some point thereafter, hoping to make the magic happen. No swap.

I notice on this box (also a recent install of Sid, but I did this one using an ISO from February) that I have no reference to swap in /etc/fstab, yet I do definitely have swap. Curiously, I don't even have a swap partition anywhere on the drive I booted off of. The kernel or some Debian script seems to have found the swap partition on my other drive automagically.

I am not quite sure what you are saying.
Do swapon after you do the mkswap.

Put the swap partition in your /etc/fstab so it will be available after boot.

Mine looks like this:
/dev/hda7    none   swap   sw   0   0

HTH
Charles