Re: After upgrade from woody stable to unstable xserver starts at boot again

Btw please start a new thread instead of making an off-topic reply to a
thread about alsa.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Jens Simmoleit wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well heck, I can't explain why there's a X-server starting on my machine at
> boot up. I "removed" the init.d Entries in webmin.
>
> After the update the xserver came up again, and now I don't know how to stop
> this godd*mn thing. Which entry do I need to modify to prevent that the
> xserver is started.
>
> Take a look what webmin says (pretty funny story!):
>
>  Action Start at boot? Description
>
>  xdm No /etc/init.d/xdm: start or stop the X display manager
>  xfree86-common No /etc/init.d/xfree86-common: set up the X server socket
> directory 10-4-2003: Now sets up .ICE-unix ICE IPC directory. -DS
>  xfs No /etc/init.d/xfs: start or stop the X font server
>
> I think that's quite interesting as I've choosen to use kdm, which isn't
> running at all, not even mentioned :-/

It seems to me that you have xdm installed.  Do you?  If so just remove it
if you don't need it.

# dpkg --purge xdm

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>