Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

On Sat, 1 May 2004 11:08:19 +0200
Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 05:12:16PM -0500, S.Squarepants wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:24:58 +0200
> > Markus Lindström <mlindstr@ulb.ac.be> wrote:
> >
> > > I think this thread is pretty self-explanatory. Actually, I want
> > > to install the binary nVidia drivers, and they require me to shut
> > > down the X server. Unfortunately, when using the
> > > ctrl-alt-backspace interrupt, X instantly respawns.
> >
> > Open a terminal, su to root, then type
> >
> >    init 1
> >

> Huh, going to single user just to shut down a single service?

You may not want to. But I would if I'm plan to be logged in as root
for any length of time.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

> > do your business of installing and the like. When finished type
> >
> >    init 5
> >
> > to get back to graphical login, or
> >
> >    init 3
> >
> > to get to console-based login.
>
> On Debian systems the runlevels 3 and 5 are identical by default,
> unless explicitely modified by root.

I didn't realize that. I haven't used Debian long enough to have known
that, and I haven't had any reason to investigate it thus far either.

Isn't learning fun?

--
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
SpongeBob Squarepants