Re: To mbox or not, that is the question!

On 2004-04-30, Mike M penned:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:53:07PM -0000, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> (For my mail, the first thing procmail does after dropping swen
>> messages is to make a copy to a backup mailbox.  Then procmail and
>> tmda do all of their processing.  That way, if I write a really
>> stupid rule that deletes all of my mail, I still have it somewhere.
>> The backup mailbox is managed using logrotate so that it doesn't get
>> too huge ... and I suspect that doing the logrotate thing using
>> maildir would be non-trivial, although I'm sure someone will prove me
>> wrong.)
>
> logrotate your email files?  Never thought of that.  You don't mind a
> robot sweeping out old emails unceremoniously after N units of time?
> Don't get me wrong.  I think that's a Good Thing.  I hang on to every-
> thing (well not list traffic).

Well, sort of.

I logrotate my *backup* mail directory.  Not my inbox or any of the mail
directories I actually use.  My backup mail directory is the one that
saves my bacon when, several hours after I've changed my procmail
script, I start wondering why I haven't seen any mail, and then realize
that I'm sending it all to /dev/null or something.

I do hang on to everything, which is why I have to read lists through
gmane (mail to newsgroup portal).  If I read them in a mail client, I'd
have to consciously choose to delete messages I don't need, rather than
choosing to keep messages I do.

--
monique