Re: Backup Strategies for linux

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:36:15 +0530 (IST), Deboo wrote
> Thanks everyone who replied. I evaluated quite a few utilites and tried
> usign simple scripts using tar/gzip and cp. Right now I am using ibackup
> script and it seems to do a great job ... it tars/compresses the selected
> files that are in it's conf file, then copies them under /root
> default but can be changed. It's also possible to encrypt the
> tarball. It'll be nice if it had the funtionality to remote login
> via ssh or some other secure method and backup the copy of the
> generated file to some web/webdav/ftp server. Does anyone know of
> such a script or utility?

You'll want to look at rsync.
You can tunnel rsync through ssh with specific "pasword-less"
ssh-keys. Run these rsyncs via a cronjob of somekind and you
can have remote backups all automated with email notifications.

I found that rsync is more efficient if the file isn't gzipped, but
just tar'd.

Example:

# rsync -avp -e 'ssh i .ssh/somekey' source.com:/your/file.tar /root/target/

Check the man pages for ssh key generantion on setting up specific keys.

Cheers,
Mike