Re: lp0 on fire - escputil anyone?

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 01:26, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 18:37, Tim Connors wrote:
> > Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> said on Tue, 27 Apr 2004
>
> 17:12:09 +0200:
> [...]
>
> > > Back in command line, everything except ink level seems to work.
> > > 'escputil -i' says it needs a raw device, and 'escputil -i -r
> > > /dev/lp0' says 'Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument' --
> > > same as GUI.
>
> [...]
>
> > You need to set up bidirectional communication on your parallel
> > port - I think it is a kernel compile option (my old crappy bios
> > also has several options on the parallel port question, one of
> > which is the bidirectional option -- try those).
>
> I hadn't thought of the bios.  I'll look tomorrow.  Thanks

No - not the BIOS.  The BIOS parallel port setting was, in fact on some
other setting, but I changed it to "Normal" and the situation is not
much better - I now get "printer connection timed out". Seems to imply
it thinks it has communication - though it doesn't wait even one tenth
of a second before the error message.

I suppose I am right to use /dev/lp0 - there isn't some other linux name
I should prefer?

I also tried the centronix cable from my desktop box, but that didn't
work at all. (Can't think why - it drives the xerox docuprint 4512
quite happily).

--
richard