Re: lp0 on fire - escputil anyone?

Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> said on Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:03:30 +0200:
> I have never got escputil to work, and wondered if anyone here knows
> how.
>
> Just now I installed it on an up-to-date sid, hoping to talk to an
> epson C62.  Run from kde printing manager, it failed to connect
> to /dev/lp0.  I tried from command line and got the following dramatic
> response:
>    atticus:~# escputil -n
>    [...disclaimer...]
>    Running nozzle check, please ensure paper is in the printer.
>    atticus:~# lp0 on fire
>
> I couldn't understand whether the "on fire" announcement came from
> escputil or not, as it is after the prompt.  I had to hit enter to get
> the prompt again.  Then I tried

Tee hee hee. That's a kernel message. If you were on the console,
that's one place the kernel message will be delivered, but some time
after the command was executed, possibly after the shell returned to
you (which is what happened this time).

google "printer on fire" for the context - it's an old message, and
has always been in all UNIXes. Something like one of the lines is
asserted when it shouldn't be, or somesuch...

Jun 26 14:08:17 kernel: troll-o-meter (pid 15134) killed: memory exhausted