Re: lp0 on fire - escputil anyone?

Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> said on Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:12:09 +0200:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 16:09, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> [...]
> > "on fire" is the kernel's way of telling you that *something* is
> > wrong on the parallel port, but it doesn't know what exactly it is.
>
> I shut down, unplugged and replugged the centronics cable, and rebooted.
> Hey presto! previously requested test page and previously requested
> (from CLI) nozzle check.  Obviously some progress.
>
> But in GUI, KDE printer manager tools are still disfunctional.  'clean
> print head' does nothing. 'Ink level' gives 'Operation terminated with
> errors. Details: Error: Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument'
>
> Back in command line, everything except ink level seems to work.
> 'escputil -i' says it needs a raw device, and 'escputil -i -r /dev/lp0'
> says 'Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument' -- same as GUI.
>
> So it looks like two issues: escputil in GUI cannot do anything, but in
> CLI it works except when two-way communication is needed. /dev/lpt0 is
> crw-rw---- root:lp and I logged in as root to do this checking, so I
> don't think it is a permissions issue.  I suppose the latter might be a
> cable problem.  As to the epson GUI tools -- do they work for anyone
> else?

You need to set up bidirectional communication on your parallel port -
I think it is a kernel compile option (my old crappy bios also has
several options on the parallel port question, one of which is the
bidirectional option -- try those).

Never tried the gui utils, but I assume they work, because the
escputils works for my printer.

An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.