lp0 on fire - escputil anyone?

I have never got escputil to work, and wondered if anyone here knows
how.

Just now I installed it on an up-to-date sid, hoping to talk to an
epson C62.  Run from kde printing manager, it failed to connect
to /dev/lp0.  I tried from command line and got the following dramatic
response:
   atticus:~# escputil -n
   [...disclaimer...]
   Running nozzle check, please ensure paper is in the printer.
   atticus:~# lp0 on fire

I couldn't understand whether the "on fire" announcement came from
escputil or not, as it is after the prompt.  I had to hit enter to get
the prompt again.  Then I tried
   atticus:~# escputil -s -r /dev/lp0
   Cannot open /dev/lp0 read/write. Device or resource busy.

So that is fairly normal.  No signs of flames...

WHat am I looking at here?

--
richard