Re: Mouse in command line

Kent West wrote:

Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) wrote:

Hi!

How can i use my mouse in command line ?
I want to use it to select and paste text etc...

Thnx!

Phil.

apt-get install gpm

You'll need to configure it to repeat the mouse data (either as "raw" or as "ms3" I believe; IIRC, the author of gpm or some other person in the know says "ms3" should be the correct choice, although until I read that post (search archives over the past year) I had always used "raw" and it worked for me), and you'll need to reconfigure the mouse in X to read mouse input from /dev/gpmdata instead of wherever it's currently reading (/dev/input/mice? /dev/psaux?). Although in the past year or so, the "/dev/input/mice" may have become "magic" enough to handle reading from gpm and might now be the canonical mouse location for X.

In other words, I started to answer this post, and then realized that what works for me might no longer be the official canonical way of doing things, so your mileage may vary.

For follow-up to this discussion, see http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/debian-user-200403/msg00887.html

--
Kent