Re: networking, NIC, kernel

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 20:59, Kenneth Macdoald Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 19:00, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 April 2004 17:57, David Cannings wrote:
[...]
> > > I would guess they lack the support for your card.  What model
> > > and chipset is it?  Is there a driver for it if you run `modconf`
> > > and use the menu system?
> >
> > But it has been working fine with the 2.2 kernel (and still does
> > when I boot that).
>
> I think the realtek cards changed name from 2.2 to 2.4.
> If you have one you can try to modprobe 8139too
> or modprobe \*
> You dont mention what your card is or whcich module you try to load.
> I would start there.

It is working with the 2.2 kernel at the moment and lspci says:
0000:00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 110Base-T
(rev 01)
0000:00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

which surprises me as I thought there is only one NIC there. Perhaps the
other is on the motherboard???  I'm guessing the Realtek is the one I'm
using.

As to modules, I thought lsmod would tell me what is loaded, but it
gives only:
parport_pc
lp
parport
af_packet

I suppose I need to boot into one of the 2.4 kernels and run some dpkg
reconfigure or other...
--
richard