networking, NIC, kernel

Erm, another puzzle for a bear of little brain...

One of our sid boxes has been running kernel 2.2.22 (uname -r says
'2.2.22-idepci').  It is usually used by various family members for
internet access (via our little ethernet -> hub -> firewall ->
adsl-router).  All that works fine, but nfs doesn't.  I finally
concluded that the problem was the kernel (I was getting 'function not
implemented' errors when attempting to export fs).  Then I noticed we
have installed in recent upgrades both 2.4.18-1-k6 and 2.4.25-1-k6. So
I altered lilo.conf, ran lilo, and rebooted into one these (the result
is the same for either).  Voila! nfs seems happy.  rpcinfo -p lists the
expected processes.  But now the NIC is not recognised, so nfs is of
limited value.  When booting, there is a 'Failed to bring up eth0'
error, which is repeated if I try to restart networking.  So I can have
either networking or nfs, but not both, and it depends on which kernel
I boot.

Where do I begin?

--
richard