SOLVED: Re: USB camera is not recognised as a SCSI device

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Tom Peters wrote:

> Following the HOWTO's I try to mount my digital USB camera in the
> following way:
>
> sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /camera
> mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

> This works with kernels up to 2.4.19, but I don't get it working with
> later 2.4 kernels.  What is wrong?

In another thread I asked John M Flichbaugh and he replied:

From: John M Flinchbaugh <glynis@butterfly.hjsoft.com>
To: "A.R. (Tom) Peters" <tpeters@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:02:55 -0400
Subject: Re: Mounting USB camera

i see no mentions of /dev/sd* devices anywhere in the 2.4.26
logs.  be sure you have scsi disk support compiled or the module
(sd_mod) loaded.  i would guess it would still be /dev/sda1,
since the cdrw wouldn't take that spot (it's an sg or sr).

otherwise, i'm not sure.  the cdrecord output looks pretty
promising, so i'm guessing it's just a missing module.

--

That was it: the error was in the SCSI modules, not in the USB.  I somehow
lost CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD (generating sd_mod) from my .config file.

Thanx John!

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters