Re: no dma on raid devices

hi ya  leva

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, LeVA wrote:

since i'm hungry right now ... ( for lunch ) ... thought i'd reply

insufficient info .. but lets c

> Is it normal, that I can not enable the dma mode on my cd devices

some cd support dma .. others dont

> which
> are connected to raid.

if you have a cdrom on the same ide cable as your other disk
used in a raid setup ...
	- you just found out the old rule ..

	=
	= do NOT mix ata-33 cdrom with ata-66/100/133 disks on the same
	= ide cable
	=

> If I enable the dma on my dvd-rom, I can not
> read from the discs,

are you talking about dvd or cdrom ???

maybe your dvd-rom gets confused when told to do something it
doesnt know what to do

> but if I disable the dma, the reading is very
> slow, and eats lot of cpu res.

back to the bad idea of dvd on the same ide cable as hard disks ??

> I'm using 2.4.26 kernel, maybe I should
> use 2.6, or this is a normal issue on a raid drive?

no ... NOT normal ... and has nothing to to with the kernel
 wrt to 2.4 or 2.6 vs cd or dvd vs raid

c ya
alvin