Re: lp0 on fire - escputil anyone?

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 16:09, Nicos Gollan wrote:
[...]
> "on fire" is the kernel's way of telling you that *something* is
> wrong on the parallel port, but it doesn't know what exactly it is.

I shut down, unplugged and replugged the centronics cable, and rebooted.
Hey presto! previously requested test page and previously requested
(from CLI) nozzle check.  Obviously some progress.

But in GUI, KDE printer manager tools are still disfunctional.  'clean
print head' does nothing. 'Ink level' gives 'Operation terminated with
errors. Details: Error: Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument'

Back in command line, everything except ink level seems to work.
'escputil -i' says it needs a raw device, and 'escputil -i -r /dev/lp0'
says 'Cannot read from /dev/lp0: Invalid argument' -- same as GUI.

So it looks like two issues: escputil in GUI cannot do anything, but in
CLI it works except when two-way communication is needed. /dev/lpt0 is
crw-rw---- root:lp and I logged in as root to do this checking, so I
don't think it is a permissions issue.  I suppose the latter might be a
cable problem.  As to the epson GUI tools -- do they work for anyone
else?

> You should also try to condition yourself to use ctrl-c if you
> absulutely want a clear prompt since using the return key may lead to
> unwanted consequences. Normally, it's just some asynchronous output
> you can just ignore and type your commands anyway.

Thanks for that advice too, Nicos.

--
richard