Re: networking, NIC, kernel

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 13:51, Richard Lyons wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 14:02, David Cannings wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 April 2004 12:17, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > Are you using the NFS kernel server and, if so, do you have it
> > compiled in or loaded as a module?  I do not know about 2.2 but in
> > 2.4 the option is CONFIG_NFSD, CONFIG_NFS_FS is required for mounting
> > them.
> kernel-server was what I installed (via aptitude) and /etc/init.d
> contains nfs-common (which i think does load) and nfs-kernel-server
> (which fails)

nfs-common simply contains various NFS utility programs such as statd,
nfsstat (etc).  The kernel server specifically requires kernel support so
this is why it doesn't load.

> The kernels are the precompiled ones - I am no good at compiling.
> But I have no problems with similar setups on three other boxes
> (2.4.22, 2.4.22-1-k6, and 2.4.21-xfs) so I assume the 2.24.x
> precompiled kernels are all ok for this.

I would assume that the 2.4 series have CONFIG_NFSD compiled into them
then but have not checked this myself.  The two options I see are to use
the userspace NFS daemon, nfs-user-server or to switch to one of the 2.4
kernels you mention.

The first few kernel compiles are definitely hard and it is a steep
learning curve but one which is worthwhile.  Unless you have some very
exotic hardware it should be fairly easy to identify which bits you need
to compile in.  If you ignore modules and simply compile the whole lot in
you will find that helps too.

David