Re: networking, NIC, kernel

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 14:02, David Cannings wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 12:17, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > One of our sid boxes has been running kernel 2.2.22 (uname -r says
> > '2.2.22-idepci').  It is usually used by various family members for
> > internet access (via our little ethernet -> hub -> firewall ->
> > adsl-router).  All that works fine, but nfs doesn't.  I finally
> > concluded that the problem was the kernel (I was getting 'function
> > not implemented' errors when attempting to export fs).
>
> Are you using the NFS kernel server and, if so, do you have it
> compiled in or loaded as a module?  I do not know about 2.2 but in
> 2.4 the option is CONFIG_NFSD, CONFIG_NFS_FS is required for mounting
> them.

kernel-server was what I installed (via aptitude) and /etc/init.d
contains nfs-common (which i think does load) and nfs-kernel-server
(which fails)

The kernels are the precompiled ones - I am no good at compiling.
But I have no problems with similar setups on three other boxes (2.4.22,
2.4.22-1-k6, and 2.4.21-xfs) so I assume the 2.24.x precompiled kernels
are all ok for this.

--
richard