Re: update-grub hangs

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:34:09 -0500
Michael Sullivan <garuda@wi.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install a low-latency kernel and managed to get through
> the whole process, but when I ran update-grub, it finds my old kernels
> but not the new one.
>
> I added the new one by hand, copying the portion of menu.lst that
> specifies a kernel, changing the name, and copying the entire kernel
> line (but changing the version of vmlinuz to the new one)
>

> here is the entry that works:
>
> title        Libranet GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.19
> root        (hd1,0)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19 root=/dev/hdf1 ro hdh=scsi hdg=scsi
> savedefault
>
> here is the one that doesn't work:
>
> title        Low  latency GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.24
> root        (hd1,0)
> kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24 root=/dev/hdf1 ro hdh=scsi hdg=scsi
> savedefault

Can you provide a bit more detail?  Where in your menu.lst are each of
these located?  In particular, does your new entry come *AFTER* the
"END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST" line?

> When I tried to boot the new new kernel, I get a kernel panic with an
> error indicating that there was a problem with the root directory
> root=/dev/hdf1  but that is  root for the other kernels and they boot
> without a problem.

Is there any chance you could be more informative about this?  What,
specifically, is the error message you get?

> I then tried to run update-grub, and it sees the old kernels but not the
>
> new ones, and apparently hangs as the program never exits.

What does this mean?  You try to run the old one, and grub just doesn't
respond?

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)