more mutt questions

I assume from the popularity of mutt here that it must be good.  Over
time, I have received the impression from various discussions here that
it is possible to filter incoming mail to different folders and then
read it with mutt.  I have restructured the folders in kmail so that
they can be seen from mutt and have been experimenting reading them
from mutt.  I am now getting doubts about the convenience of using
mutt.

THis is what I do with kmail.  The incoming mail picked up from the pop3
server is filtered to topic or client folders and the presence of
unread mail is visible from bold face titles.  It is then easy to read
the unread mail, in the order of priority I feel appropriate, and
ignoring folders with no new mail.  This still works even after
eliminating nested folders (which are invisible in mutt whether mbox or
maildir).

To compare with mutt, I have simply opened the ~/Mail directory in which
the folders are, and tried to read new mail.  Unread mail is not
identified by default, so I went through a handful of the 70-odd
folders and marked some recent mail as unread.  Then I tried to find it
again.  The read next unread instruction in mutt appears to only
operate inside a folder.  The folders containing unread mail are not
flagged in any way.  I can only find the 'unread' mail by opening every
folder (c then ? then scroll to the next folder and press enter -- not
very simple) and looking for entries marked N.

I'm baffled.  If so many d-u members use it there must be a simpler
strategy other than reading all mail in the inbox and manually sorting
it to folders _after_ reading.

Even supposing I eventually manage to set up spam filters to cut out the
150-200 spam messages each day, I would prefer to deal quickly with the
categories I see as important and to be able to defer the less urgent
ones when I feel like it.  And in kmail, all I need to do to check the
spam is to open the spam folder and scan the 'subject' and 'from'
columns - move any misfiltered items (very rare) and delete everything
else unopened.  In mutt it seems that I would need to c-?-scroll-enter
to the spam folder, then mark each message for deletion.

And then, I have found no method to get back to the mail spool file that
is displayed by default at opening, other than laboriously stepping
back through the directory tree from the ~/Mail directory, or typing
the spooldirectory by hand, or closing the application and reopening
it.

This isn't intended to be a rant.  I just want to know how mutt can get
near to the convenience of a gui mail client like kmail.

--
richard