Re: more mutt questions

On 2004-04-26T01:02:26+0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
> To compare with mutt, I have simply opened the ~/Mail directory in which
> the folders are, and tried to read new mail.  Unread mail is not
> identified by default, so I went through a handful of the 70-odd
> folders and marked some recent mail as unread.  Then I tried to find it
> again.  The read next unread instruction in mutt appears to only
> operate inside a folder.  The folders containing unread mail are not
> flagged in any way.  I can only find the 'unread' mail by opening every
> folder (c then ? then scroll to the next folder and press enter -- not
> very simple) and looking for entries marked N.

You probably the following configuration:

1. fetchmail (to retrieve mail from your pop server)
2. optional mta (like postfix to route your mail)
3. mail deliver agent (list procmail to sort your mail into folders)
4. mutt to read your mail

Add 2. you can configure fetchmail to use 3 for mail deliver directly,
and it is much faster.  But if you do special things on your mta,
like anti-spam, you do of course not way to by-pass it.

So when you are in step 4, you have a bunch of folders/files
(maildir/mbox) and you configure mutt to check them with the
mailboxes option.  I do not want to manually sync up the configuration
for procmail and mutt, so I do the following (I am using maildir):

mailboxes `find $HOME/var/mail/received -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%h/%f '; echo`
mailboxes `find $HOME/var/mail/received/mailing_lists -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%h/% f '; echo`
subscribe `find $HOME/var/mail/received/mailing_lists -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -printf '%f ' ; echo`

It sounds a little complicated, but it does work really well.

> Even supposing I eventually manage to set up spam filters to cut out the
> 150-200 spam messages each day, I would prefer to deal quickly with the
> categories I see as important and to be able to defer the less urgent
> ones when I feel like it.  And in kmail, all I need to do to check the
> spam is to open the spam folder and scan the 'subject' and 'from'
> columns - move any misfiltered items (very rare) and delete everything
> else unopened.  In mutt it seems that I would need to c-?-scroll-enter
> to the spam folder, then mark each message for deletion.

c enter, do whatever, c enter for the next bad boy.  With the mailboxes
configured, mutt knows what folder has new mail.  Here is how I deal
with spam:

D ~N (delete all new email)
Review/undelete as needed

> And then, I have found no method to get back to the mail spool file that
> is displayed by default at opening, other than laboriously stepping
> back through the directory tree from the ~/Mail directory, or typing
> the spooldirectory by hand, or closing the application and reopening
> it.

I do: c =def<tab> (my spool directory is called default/).

Let us know if I missed anything.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind