Re: Sound problem: ALSA + emu10k not working

I had exactly this same problem, but disabling discover audio/sound
finding in the discover config file had no effect.  There was no way to
tell what was loading the OSS drivers, which I do not want to load.  My
solution was to rename the old OSS driver to something else so that it
could not be found.  However, the emu10k1_gp module is still loaded,
though I would probably prefer that it is not. I have no idea where to
go about turning that module load off, discover is currently removed
from my system, but hotplug is installed. What do I need to change in
the config files so that it loads usb and such, but not my soundcard?

-Brian

Chris Metzler wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:57:59 -0300
[snip]
So I suspect your problem is that you've installed both the OSS modules
and the ALSA modules.

You need to choose which ones you want to use, and only have those
modules modprobed in.  From your subject, I presume you want ALSA.
Then you need to make sure the OSS modules don't get modprobed.
Since you say that this started after a dist-upgrade, I suspect
that what happened is you installed discover or hotplug.  They
run before the ALSA scripts in the boot process; and discover
does, and hotplug may, install OSS modules by default unless told
not to through their config files.

-c