Re: My sound works perfectly - am I the only one? :)

Perhaps its because you're using OSS that you have it working.  For
those of us who are using Sid or some kernel 2.6, alsa's really the only
way to go, and its not fully mature yet, in my opinion.  I was having
issues with the old oss driver being loaded too, and my only solution
was to rename it so that it wouldn't be loaded.  I even removed
discover, even though I had audio discovery disabled.  Now, I can't get
my mixer to work or appear under /dev. So, it'll probably require some
more work.  Hopefully one day this will all be automated and painless. I
don't think that I've ever had a distrobution install sound correctly
out-of-the-box first try. Granted, I'm no linux guru, but I'm not a newbie either and I don't feel I should have to spend so much time reading documentation and newsgroups to have to figure out how to get a relatively old technology working correctly.

-Brian

Stephen Patterson wrote:
What with all the sound card posts flying round recently, it doesn;t seem like anyone's getting audio, and here I am with 2 systems working perfectly with OSS (no udev/devs and none of that alsa malarky).g