Re: My sound works perfectly - am I the only one? :)

--- Brian Saghy <bes1251@rit.edu> wrote:
> Perhaps its because you're using OSS that you have
> it working.  For
> those of us who are using Sid or some kernel 2.6,
> alsa's really the only
> way to go, and its not fully mature yet, in my
> opinion.

I'm running sid too with 2.6.5, but sound seems so
fine for me ( even not with alsa ). All I need is just
chmod the mixer,modprobe the device and add my user
into sound group. But I'm not that lucky in display
stuff ( I'd googled for about a month just to find how
to make my i845G onboard works...)

>  I was having issues with the old oss driver being
>loaded too, and
> my only solution
> was to rename it so that it wouldn't be loaded.  I
> even removed
> discover, even though I had audio discovery
> disabled.  Now, I can't get
> my mixer to work or appear under /dev. So, it'll
> probably require some
> more work.  Hopefully one day this will all be
> automated and painless. I
> don't think that I've ever had a distrobution
> install sound correctly
> out-of-the-box first try. Granted, I'm no linux
> guru, but I'm not a
> newbie either and I don't feel I should have to
> spend so much time
> reading documentation and newsgroups to have to
> figure out how to get a
> relatively old technology working correctly.
I think this is the classic but still up to date
common problem in Linux. Almost all of us must become
a surgeon if we want all the stuff we've got works
nice in Linux. I wonder when this would end ... ( hope
the happy ending )