Re: Motherboard compatibility

Barry Mead wrote:
I have 3 computers with the ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard in them. I have been running Mandrake 9.1 on them. Mandrake no longer supports this motherboard, with their 9.2 or 10.0 releases. This AMD type motherboard uses the VIA KT400 northbridge chip, the VIA 8235 southbridge chip, and the Analog Devices AD1980 codec for the sound comming off of the southbridge's AC'97 sound controller. Does anyone in the Debian community know if this combination of chips is supported by Debian linux or not.

I have an Asus P4PE (Intel 845PE chipset) with an Analog Devices AD1980 sound chip on it. I got the sound on it working fine with the ALSA sound system. With a 2.4 kernel, I had to download the source code from the ALSA web site and use the intel8x0 sound driver. I think I've switched motherboards before I started using the 2.6 kernel so I'm not sure if ALSA in 2.6 will work with it (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't).