Re: How to make your own customised Debian CD?

hi ya

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 users@linuxforums.org wrote:

> Do I need to install any hardware detection software in step (2) so
> that it can detect all the new hardware in another PC when I bootup
> via CD?

just make sure you compile your kernel with ALLL the modules
and  you're done w/ hardware drivers ... how to detect new
devices that is plugged in is a separate issue ( anaconda )

knoppix has a good hw detect...

== what do you want (need) to add to your bootable cdrom version ??

> Basically, it is to 'remaster' a minimal debian system into a
> 'Knoppix-like' CD.

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/knoopix-cd
dd if=/mnt/knoppix-cd of=/tmp/k.iso
mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /tmp/k.iso /mnt/test
cp -par /lib/modules/2.4.26  /mnt/test/lib/modules/2.4.26
cp /boot/*2.4.26* /mnt/test/boot

- make a boot image of vmlinux-2.4.26
	- a floppy boot image is simplest
	- or use isolinux

- replace knoppix boot image w/ your vmlinux-2.4.26 boot floppy image
	( fun part -- to make it standalone cdrom )

reburn your new cdrom  from your updated /mnt/test image
	mkisofs
	cdrecord

( all over simplified steps )

c ya