Re: RAID failure

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:26:53PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya antony
>
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
> > The next message was hda 0x51 DriveReady SeekComplete, followed by the
> > actual kernel panic in the RAID code.  I disconnected hda, leaving hdc
> > connected.  I then got a successful boot, which seems to indicate that
>
> good that you can boot off hdc ...
>
> > hda has a hardware fault.  But I seem to be missing files from the last
> > five days.  How can this be?  The system was working fine for most of
> > the last five days, and I am confused as to why these missing files
> > weren't raided to hdc.
>
> if you were NOT monitoring for drive failures, you probably had a dead
> hda for the past 5 days .. and i finally gave up when you noticed
> 	- you will not notice that hda is dead as hdc will continue
> 	to work in degraded mode ... but no copy of it on the other disk
>
> i guess if hda  has file1, file2, file3, file4, file5
> and if hdc has only file1, file2
>
> when you plug in a new replacment disk ... raid1 will
> "properly resync" things for you ... but...
>
> when does new raid1 erase file3, file4, file5 from hda
> or when does new hdc raid1 add file3,4,5 to hdc
> 	both disks is supposed to be identical in data

Nice little mind twister there.  What I would do is (if possible)
mount the /dev/hda partitions and copy the important stuff
you need.  Then copy the data off your RAID machine completely before
you add a new /dev/hda disk.

I have the same problem on my practice RAID machine.  One drive
keeps failing, but every couple of boots I am able to add
it back into the array.  So you might be able to mount /dev/hda
once again and look around for your missing data and get it onto
another disk or machine.

Andy