RAID failure

Hi all,

I have two disks in a RAID1. An interesting thing occurred today. The machine stopped responding, and upone reboot, I got a kernel panic. Sadly, I had to act quickly and don't have the exact messages to hand. I think it was trying to rebuild the RAID array, due to a superblock modification time discrepancy (!).

The next message was hda 0x51 DriveReady SeekComplete, followed by the actual kernel panic in the RAID code. I disconnected hda, leaving hdc connected. I then got a successful boot, which seems to indicate that hda has a hardware fault. But I seem to be missing files from the last five days. How can this be? The system was working fine for most of the last five days, and I am confused as to why these missing files weren't raided to hdc.