Re: RAID failure

hi ya antony

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> The next message was hda 0x51 DriveReady SeekComplete, followed by the
> actual kernel panic in the RAID code.  I disconnected hda, leaving hdc
> connected.  I then got a successful boot, which seems to indicate that

good that you can boot off hdc ...

> hda has a hardware fault.  But I seem to be missing files from the last
> five days.  How can this be?  The system was working fine for most of
> the last five days, and I am confused as to why these missing files
> weren't raided to hdc.

if you were NOT monitoring for drive failures, you probably had a dead
hda for the past 5 days .. and i finally gave up when you noticed
	- you will not notice that hda is dead as hdc will continue
	to work in degraded mode ... but no copy of it on the other disk

i guess if hda  has file1, file2, file3, file4, file5
and if hdc has only file1, file2

when you plug in a new replacment disk ... raid1 will
"properly resync" things for you ... but...

when does new raid1 erase file3, file4, file5 from hda
or when does new hdc raid1 add file3,4,5 to hdc
	both disks is supposed to be identical in data

c ya
alvin