Re: Display manager

* [Saturday 17 April 2004 15:29] Kent West <westk@acu.edu>:

> >I'm sorry, but I'm no longer sure: where does my display manager
> > (i.e. kdm, at the moment) collect its list of available window
> > managers?

<snip>

> My guess would be that it's display manager dependent. I believe the
> location for KDE is
>
> "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc":

Weird. I've been looking there, and can't remember having found
something relevant...

> > # Greeter config for all displays
> > [X-*-Greeter]
> > # Session types the users can select. It is advisable to have
> > "default" and
> > # "failsafe" listed herein, which is also the default.
> > # Note, that the meaning of this value is entirely up to your
> > Session program.
> > SessionTypes=default,icewm,wmaker,metacity,twm,icewm-session,kde3,g
> >nome-session, failsafe

...and indeed, those lines aren't in my kdmrc file. :-/

Anyway - the way SessionTypes are listed in your kdmrc wouldn't be
sufficient either, I think. The selected SessionType would still have
to be passed as an argument to, ehm, something else. Whatever it is,
the fact that my kdmrc doesn't contain those lines makes it feel even
weirder to me.

I guess I'll just get rid of the display managers alltogether and get
myself going with startx again. :-(

> >May I call it utter chaos, or is it really, once more, just me?
>
> Seems chaotic to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, then. :-)

Thanks for your reply,
Tom