Re: Display manager

Tom wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm no longer sure: where does my display manager (i.e.
> kdm, at the moment) collect its list of available window managers? I
> really tried to come up with an answer myself, but the configuration
> files that just may have something to do with this topic are happily
> chaining and symlinking.
>
> The most plausible place I can think of would be /usr/share/xsessions,
> but it merely contains 4 .desktop-files, while I have more options
> available from KDM.
>
> May I call it utter chaos, or is it really, once more, just me?

I do not use KDM, but this excerpt from /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf may shed some
light on the subject. It mentions interoperability with KDM. GDM seems to
get them from multiple sources, including some not mentioned here. Notice
in particular SessionDesktopDir=

x-snip-----------------------------------------------
# This is our standard startup script.  A bit different from a normal
# X session, but it shares a lot of stuff with that.  See the provided
# default for more information.
BaseXsession=/etc/gdm/Xsession
# This is a directory where .desktop files describing the sessions live
# It is really a PATH style variable since 2.4.4.2 to allow actual
# interoperability with KDM
#SessionDesktopDir=/etc/X11/sessions/:/etc/dm/Sessions/:/usr/share/xsessions/
# This is the default .desktop session. One of the ones in SessionDesktopDir
DefaultSession=default.desktop

Hope this helps,
Paul

--
* For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,    *