Re: Display manager

On Saturday 17 April 2004 11:20, Tom wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I'm no longer sure: where does my display manager (i.e.
> kdm, at the moment) collect its list of available window managers? I
> really tried to come up with an answer myself, but the configuration
> files that just may have something to do with this topic are happily
> chaining and symlinking.

I'm not sure about KDM because I use GDM but I suspect that it might be
the same problem I had recently.  I upgraded GDM and lost almost all
the sessions; I was later informed in this newsgroup that they are now
in /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop.  The solution was to create more files
there, such as the following.

==> windowmaker.desktop <==
[Desktop Entry]
Name=WindowMaker
Comment=WindowMaker
Exec=/usr/bin/wmaker
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

==> xfce4.desktop <==
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xfce4
Comment=Xfce4
Exec=/usr/bin/xfce4-session
# no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
Icon=
Type=Application

> May I call it utter chaos, or is it really, once more, just me?

I was really surprised when this happened to me.  I hope the packages
for the other desktops will soon include these files.  I also think the
newer GDM and KDM packages ought to warn you during installation that
you will need to do this.

HTH,
Adam