Re: Display manager

* [Saturday 17 April 2004 15:08] Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com>:

> > I'm sorry, but I'm no longer sure: where does my display manager
> > (i.e. kdm, at the moment) collect its list of available window
> > managers? I really tried to come up with an answer myself, but the
> > configuration files that just may have something to do with this
> > topic are happily chaining and symlinking.
>
> I'm not sure about KDM because I use GDM but I suspect that it might
> be the same problem I had recently.  I upgraded GDM and lost almost
> all the sessions; I was later informed in this newsgroup that they
> are now in /etc/dm/Sessions/*.desktop.  The solution was to create
> more files there, such as the following.
>
> ==> windowmaker.desktop <==
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=WindowMaker
> Comment=WindowMaker
> Exec=/usr/bin/wmaker
> # no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
> Icon=
> Type=Application

I don't have a directory called /etc/dm... I guess I could create those
desktop-files in /usr/share/xsessions, but then again -- there already
are 4 of them there, but KDM offers me more than four, so it really
should get the list from elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip, however. :-) I'll be glad already if it will indeed
recognize the window managers when I add them in the above way.

Greets,
Tom