Re: upgrade debian kernal

Chris Lowe wrote:

I am running debian base 3.0r0 and I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6.3. I would like to use menuconfig to build the kernel. I am new to debian and have never compiled my own kernel before. What tools will I need to install/update before I can build the kernel?

If you're just wanting to upgrade to kernel 2.6.3, there's no need to recompile (assuming you're running sid at least, and maybe earlier versions). Just
   apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.3-686
(assuming a Pentium Pro or newer). You can see other available kernel versions with
   apt-cache search kernel-image

If you're really asking about compiling a kernel, it's been too long since I've done so, so I'll let others address that.

--
Kent