Re: upgrade debian kernal

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:21:11 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> Chris Lowe wrote:
>
>> I am running debian base 3.0r0 and I need to upgrade to kernel 2.6.3.
>> I would like to use menuconfig to build the kernel.  I am new to
>> debian and have never compiled my own kernel before. What tools will I
>> need to install/update before I can build the kernel?
>>

> If you're just wanting to upgrade to kernel 2.6.3, there's no need to
> recompile (assuming you're running sid at least, and maybe earlier
> versions). Just
>     apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.3-686
> (assuming a Pentium Pro or newer). You can see other available kernel
> versions with
>     apt-cache search kernel-image
>
> If you're really asking about compiling a kernel, it's been too long
> since I've done so, so I'll let others address that.

Since you're running Woody, you'll need to find a backported kernel-image
for 2.6. Try searching www.backports.org (and look through the list
archives in recent weeks; there's been lots of discussion thus).

As for custom compilation, see the following:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

--
Matt Kirchhoff
Have you checked the Wiki today?