Re: VFS: Cannot open root device

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:31:32AM +0200, Markus Lindström wrote:
| Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >
| >Don't forget to include "PC BIOS (MSDOS partition tables) support"
| >(CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION) in the kernel's configuration.  If you leave
| >it out, then the kernel can't read the partition table and thus can't
| >find the filesystem.
|
| GREAT! That was the missing link! It boots without problems now ;-)!
| Just a silly question though... How could the kernel start initializing
| stuff on the disk if it couldn't read the partition table to begin with?
| I don't know, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

The IDE controller comes first.  The kernel uses the disk controller
drivers it has available to try to detect and begin communicating with
the disk controller.  This has to happen before the kernel can get
anything (ie the partition table) from the disk.  Next the kernel
reads the partition table and tries to interpret it.  If the partition
table support is missing, then at that point the kernel will panic.
After reading the partition table, the kernel proceeds with reading
the filesystem.  (if support for the filesystem on that partition is
missing the kernel panics at this point)

-D

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
    --Jim Elliot