Re: VFS: Cannot open root device

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 02:06:57PM +0200, Markus Lindström wrote:
| Okay, here's the deal.
|
| I'm a newbie trying to get Debian Woody to work on my comp.
| Unfortunately, the native 2.4.18 kernel shipped with it doesn't support
| my network card.
|
| On the other hand, compiling a newer 2.4 kernel resolves the problem.
| BUT, I'm trying to compile a 2.6 kernel (which I've heard many good
| things about). In fact I've been trying to compile 2.6.4 and 2.6.4-ck2.
| The compilation itself doesn't encounter any problems, so that's clear.
|
| The problem comes at boot time, where I can the following message:
|

| VFS: Cannot open root device "341" or hdb1
| Please append a correct "root=" boot option
| Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hdb1

Don't forget to include "PC BIOS (MSDOS partition tables) support"
(CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION) in the kernel's configuration.  If you leave
it out, then the kernel can't read the partition table and thus can't
find the filesystem.

| Any ideas how to fix this? I've read around a bit, some people claim
| that it's due to missing IDE drivers,

That is one common error that can result in that message.

Another is not having the filesystem support in the kernel.

| so I activated them all just in
| case and... nothing happens. LILO doesn't seem to be the problem either,
|  considering that the original vmlinuz image has the exact same
| configuration as the new compiled one.

If the kernel starts and you get to that message, then LILO isn't the
problem because it did load and start the kernel.

As for compiling features as modules or not,   if you're using a
debian-packaged kernel (this includes kernel packages built with
'make-kpkg'), just list the necessary modules in /etc/modules and run
'dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image-...'.  The postinst script for the
kernel package will rebuild the initrd image and include all the
modules listed in /etc/modules.  In this manner you can have things
like IDE support, filesystem support, and even RAID controller support
built as modules without any boot problems.

-D

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."