Re: AMD vs. Intel

also sprach Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> [2004.04.11.1718 +0200]:
> The first problem is that OpenGL-intensive applications eventually
> lock up the machine.  No killing X, no switching virtual consoles
> to another console to kill things off, etc.  The only thing for it
> is to hit reset.

I have had this problem. It went away when I changed my custom
kernel to a Debian kernel. Right now, the machine is running
2.6.3-1-k7 and has not locked up a single time. However, I must say
that right around the time I switched kernels, I also added a second
monitor and configured Xinerama, which renders OpenGL unusable,
AFAIK.

The chipset is an AMD-768, and the machine is a dual-processor.

> When I have the time to respond to people and investigate
> in more detail, my plan was to start a thread about this asking for
> advice on what to look at.  It could be the Mesa libraries, it could
> be the X driver for my card (Matrox G550),

FWIW, I have a G450.

> So maybe it's a BIOS problem.
> Except it worked fine for a year; and how do you suddenly get a glitch
> in your BIOS that mucks up one very narrow thing like this, but leaves
> you with a BIOS that otherwise functions absolutely perfectly in every
> way?

Everything is possible in the world of computers and components of
degrading quality. Does the disk in question behave differently if
you boot it from another motherboard?

also sprach Allan Wind <allanwind@lifeintegrity.com> [2004.04.11.1909 +0200]:
> Could be heat.  Some of the Loki demos locked up my machine in
> a similar fashion, and it has otherwise been stable.

My machine is at 40C. That's a perfect temperature, no?

> It sounds more like an issue with your boot loader, or perhaps
> a master/slave issue than the BIOS breaking.

What boot loader? Could you try another one?

`. `'`