kernel 2.6 and memtester

I have a weird problem here: A machine with an XP 2200 downgraded to
1800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM and an nForce2 chipset. 512Mb swapspace exist.

I tried the 2.6.5-1-k7 and the 2.4.25-1-k7 kernels. When I boot the
former and run `memtest all`, it will try to allocate 768Mb of RAM
and successively go down until it reaches somewhere around 740Mb,
and then it will hang itself up on the line

Allocated 750898240 bytes...trying mlock...

If I do the same with the 2.4.25 kernel, then memtest runs just
fine, and no errors are detected.

Furthermore, running on the 2.6.5 kernel, the machine will randomly
lockup, which appears to be related to I/O. The lockups are hard, no
kernel oops, no SysBrk possible, no messages, and no effect on
keypress whatever the key may be.

Suffice it to say, memtest86+ detects no errors, I let it run for 7+
hours.

What could be the issue here? Is memtester not able to deal with
2.6 kernels? Or is the 2.6 memory management possibly unstable?

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

unix, because rebooting is for adding new hardware.