Re: Cannot boot from harddrive

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:09:27 -0400
allanwind@lifeintegrity.com (Allan Wind) wrote:

> I changed the subject to be consistent with the problem you are seeing.

Yeah.  I didn't do that because I was sorta planning on doing this in
another thread in a few days, and I didn't wanna usurp Martin's
thread.

>On 2004-04-11T11:18:43-0400, Chris Metzler wrote:
>> The first problem is that OpenGL-intensive applications eventually
>> lock up the machine.
>
> Could be heat.  Some of the Loki demos locked up my machine in a similar
> fashion, and it has otherwise been stable.

I don't think so, though.  I have lm_sensors installed and my temp numbers
(motherboard and cpu) don't change much.  That doesn't mean the video card
isn't getting hot, of course; but it has an intake fan *right* above it,
blowing down onto it; and I'd expect at least the motherboard to warm up
some in that case.  Plus, it sometimes happens promptly, like within 20
seconds of starting the app.  Not much time to heat up.

>> The second problem with my machine is much more serious:  I can no
>> longer boot from HD.
>
> What changed that broke this?

> Could you try booting with that disk in
> another machine (it would help you understand if this is a hardware or
> software issue)?

This is the one thing I haven't done.  I *have* tried other disks in
this machine, and had the same problem, and tried booting off disks
attached to both of the first two IDE channels; this suggested to me
that it really isn't a disk issue.  However, I should try booting off
one of these disks in another machine, as you suggest; even if I don't
think that's it, it's good to conclusively rule it out, and maybe I'll
get some useful diagnostics that way.

> If you using IDE drives, try leave only the harddrive
> on and make sure you set the BIOS to only try to boot using that device.

This I have done, and with more than one disk.  No luck; it just hangs
in the boot process.

> It sounds more like an issue with your boot loader,

I use grub.  A problem with the bootloader is what I first thought,
and my suspicions were further aroused by a thread I saw in grub
mailing lists about grub sometimes having a lockup-during-boot
problem with big disks.  But it's my understanding that the very
first thing grub does, before trying to read *anything* off any
disk, is write "GRUB" to the screen.  I don't get that far.  (In
the bug to which I refer, from the grub mailing lists, it does
get that far)  That doesn't mean it's not a bootloader problem,
of course; but it's as if it's choking immediately upon entering
main(), if so.

> or perhaps a
> master/slave issue than the BIOS breaking.

This I don't know what means.  Could you elaborate?  Thanks.

-c

P.S.  cc'ing you because it took me so long to reply; I figure you
might not see it in the list.  Sorry if that's a bad idea.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)