Re: AMD vs. Intel

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2004.04.09.1949 +0200]:
> It won't hurt.  But nmi_watchdog is only for usermode and
> kernemode hangs. The NMI watchdog is useless against nasty bugs
> (hw or sw) that make the hardware unstable.

Yes, I have just discovered that.

(Note that my new thread is about a different machine. I can't try
the stuff you suggested until Wednesday, when I get back to Zurich.

> I get about 101 NMIs per second on each CPU using nmi_watchdog=1.
> HZ=100 in this machine, I suppose...  This is a not-really-SMP
> machine, with a single P4 HT processor.

related, but not to the thread: what's that HZ stuff? I assumed it
to be something like Hertz, but I could be wrong. However, ever
since I switched to the 2.6 kernel, I get the "Wrong HZ, was 67;
should be 100" or something like that messages occasionally.

> The software watchdog will reboot your machine (and AFAIK it might
> very well be using NMIs to do it, too).  If you can use a chipset
> watchdog, however, that's much better (e.g. the TCO timers in most
> Intel systems, and _especially_ the IPMI watchdog in servers with
> a baseboard controller worth something).

I'll think about it. How much are these hardware watchdogs, and
which one would you recommend?

`. `'`